Artist's Bio & Show Statement
Julian A. Campbell was born in Tallmanville, Pennsylvania on June 14, 1889, the fourth child of Adolphus Campbell and Philena Jane Tallman. Tallmanville no longer exists, and all that remains is the Tallmanville Cemetery and the original C. P. Tallmqn house. Tallmanville is approximately 2 miles south of Shehawken, Pennsylvania.
He became interested in photography as a teenager and began taking pictures in about 1904. In about 1908, his family moved to Binghamton, New York and eventually lived at 373 Court Street at the corner of Moeller Street.
In 1911 he purchased his first car—a 1911 Ford Model T Torpedo Roadster. He also purchased an expensive German camera which utilized 5" by 7" glass plates for
negatives. The camera was purchased to be utilized in a picture postcard business.
He soon began traveling through northern Pennsylvania and southern New York taking pictures of towns, buildings, scenic views, etc., to be transposed onto postcards
which he hoped could be sold to various vendors In the areas of the photos.
In about 1912 the DL&W Railroad decided to make a route cutoff in the Nicholson area in northern Pennsylvania. The cutoff entailed the construction of a huge viaduct at Nicholson which required about three years to complete. The construction effort was captivating and he photographed the entire process from beginning to end over the three-year period, 1912-1915. Undoubtedly, he took manv of the local town photos on his way to and from Nicholson during those three years.
In all he took about 1,500 photos, all on 5" by 7" glass plates. The inscription on each plate had to be hand-etched backwards so that it would read properly when printed. His sister, Bessie, became very adept at backward lettering and did nearly all of the titling.
During this time Julian became intimately familiar with Henry Ford's Model T and worked in several Ford garages in Binghamton and Johnson City as a mechanic. In 1915 he responded to a flyer from Bassano, Alberta, Canada requesting colonists to move to Bassano and settle in the newly created Bassano Irrigation Colony. He closed his postcard business and moved to Bassano.
He returned to Binghamton in 1917 when his father died, and then returned to Bassano only to find out that the girl he was courting married someone else. He returned to Binghamton and, after a stint in the Army during World War I, again repaired Ford Model Ts.
In 1922 he bought part of the Alden Farm at Langdon in the town of Kirkwood and farmed. He was elected Supervisor for the town of Kirkwood in 1924. He was married in 1926.
During the depression he returned to various Ford agencies in Binghamton and again worked as a mechanic as well as a farmer. He became a full-time farmer in 1941 and Justice of the Peace in Kirkwood in the early 1950s—a position to which he was reelected until 1970.
He passed on in August 1973 and is buried in the Kirkwood Village Cemetery.
Bruce Campbell, his son, 3/12/99